of Greater Houston County
Please feel free to download this and share
(Formerly Interfaith Hospitality Network)
A mother loses her job, a father is kept from working by an injury, a family is forced from their home by fire or natural disaster. Healthcare costs soar, public transportation is underfunded, affordable housing is almost impossible to find. These are the reasons why families now make up 40 percent of the homeless population, and why one out of every four homeless people is a child.
In response to this crisis, the Family Promise Network brings various faith communities together to help families regain their housing, their independence, and their dignity. FPGHC is a collaborative partnership of congregations within our community helping families with infants, toddlers, and children in our schools who are facing homelessness. This proven hospitality program offers a rewarding opportunity for volunteers of all faiths, ages, and abilities to be active in transforming lives.
Family Promise of Greater Houston County, Inc. (FPGHC) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3), non- denominational organization for families in transition and part of a national organization founded in 1986.
The Family Promise Network Program provides shelter, meals, and support services to families without homes through a network of local congregations. There are five basic components to a Network Program.
1. Congregations : Churches rotate providing meals, supplies, and support to families one week four times a year. They provide financial support and volunteers for other needs such as fund raising events and special projects.
2. For 90 days Family Promise provides family units on our campus. A community center on site is available for group melas, full kitchen, computers, library and meeting space. Social services are offered through case management as guests pursue employment, education and arrange care for preschool children. A laundry is available on site along with a playground.
3. Transportation: The Network Van transports guests as needed for jobs school, and other needed appointments.
4. Volunteers: Volunteers are essential to our success and provide a wide range of services like cooking and serving meals, playing with children or helping them with homework, interacting with guests with respect and compassion, and serving as van drivers, Office Angels, and working on projects
5. Fundraising: The organization is financed through donations, grants, and fundraising events.